The oath can be used on a work by work basis, or as an overall artist’s pledge.
It’s intended to serve as a guide when referring to art created in our new AI-enabled world. I left GitHub Copilot on while writing this, it filled in a few sentences for me. This post is rated AO3+ in the system I’ve yet to describe.
This is just a quick hamming together of an idea, I’m sure I or someone smarter will expand upon this further later on.
AO: I have used no AI
This project, post, creation, sculpture, painting, software, etc has had no input whatsoever from AI. It is entirely human made.
Can be referred to as AO0 if you prefer the numbers to line up nicely.
AO1: I have used AI in a research or teacher role
AI has been used to find references, or to teach the artist how to do something.
- In a game or novel, AI may have been used to learn how to design character and story.
- In software, AI may have been used to learn how an algorithm works.
AO2: AI has been used for structural components, but not the art itself
- In software AI may have come up with the database schema, but did not write any of the code.
- In writing, AI may have come up with the chapter structure, but did not write any of the text.
- In a game, AI may have come up with the character names, but did not write any of the dialogue.
AO3: AI has directly assisted in the creation process
- In software, the AI has written code.
- In writing, the AI has helped write the text of a chapter.
AO4: AI generated this entirely from a prompt specifically engineered by a human
The human still came up with the initial concept, but AI has done the heavy lifting.
- In a game, the human came up with the characters and major plot points, but AI generated the rest of the game.
- In software, the human came up with the spec, but AI generated the code.
- In writing, the human came up with the plot outline, but AI generated the text of the chapter.
- In visual art, the human came up with the prompt but AI generated the actual image.
AO5: AI generated this entirely from a basic prompt
The human has prompted the AI something extremely simple and without nuance, such as “Please write a novel”. The AI has then generated the entire work.
Purity: And I have never used AI beyond this point
AO* would have never used AI at all, in this creation or any before.
Once AI gets to verified sapient equivalent or above I welcome them as equals in art.
AO3+ would indicate I have used current level AI as an assistant and would gladly welcome the opportunities a new life form could bring to creativity.